18.1.07

Living somewhere in a fog


Yup that is so right. I am living in a fog.
It is a fog called 17 credits. Many would think that shouldn't be difficult, and you would be right. It isn't difficult, or it wouldn't be if is wasn't 17 credits of busywork. I am positive that one class along has caused the deaths of many cottonwoods. This class will also cause me to kill many cottonwoods. Not to mention the ink cartridges I will have to buy. Out of all those credits there are only 3 credits that's difficult and that is Applied Business English. I can write just fine (you would never it). I passed English 101 just fine. But this. This. Is. Grammar. Apparently I forgot more that I knew. What makes me mad is it that I can write with out knowing what an indirect object or an object of the preposition are. I ask you, WHO CARES, other than an English teacher.

I have just enjoyed 4 days off thanks to the snow and ice we have had. Yes I know it was only 3 inches. I will take what I can get. Back to school tomorrow. We were supposed to have a test on Wednesday and one tomorrow. I wonder if they will give us till Monday? hmmm. I guess I better study.

I have read a few good books since me last post. I may get around to telling you about them sometime.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Dody, rest assured, the English teacher probably doesn't care very much about indirect objects either. It's just a hoop you have to jump through. You'll do much better than you think, I'm sure of it.

That said, if I ever become an English professor (it's a distinct possibility, some day far down the road), please shoot me right in the head if I start to really CARE about direct and indirect objects. Seriously.

RoniZee said...

I learned about grammar by using Mad Libs.


Is that you leaning over that ice slab? Maybe on the Mighty Columbia?

Also, nice pic of tower bridge.

arwen said...

i took a grammar class last spring. I dropped it because it was horrible. And well... we all know about my schedule this semester...
Busy work= Boo Urns.I don't know what else to say. I'm in a fog too, but mine is me being sick.
mmmm... enjoy your extra foamy latte... ;)

Unknown said...

First, I hate busywork.

B. It was good to see you; I just wish it could have been longer.

3. I am pretty good at Grammar, but I question systematic views of grammar that reduce language to math. I don't hate math, and I like language, but they are not, nor should they ever be, closely related, except for the purposes of computer programmers, since programming languages are designed to draw mathematical conclusions from linguistic input and since they are the primary developers of “grammar check” software systems.

Penultimatly, and on a related note, knowledge of formal grammar may be of great use in certain types of language learning, but the primary use of such knowledge reflects an astounding level of ethnocentrism, so I believe it to be, in general, ethically questionable. Each language deserves respect as itself and though comparisons may be used to facilitate greater understanding, I have more often seen examples stand in the way of understanding than clarify matters.

Finally, the grammar that such classes teach is, as far as I can surmise, an attempt to induct the student into the dialect of language used in academia in general and in the specific field studied.

dodyb said...

Yeah, What Ty said :)

dodyb said...

Roni, that is me leaning over ice on Antartica and I took that pic o the bidge too.

(i wish) :)
google is my friend.

Nana Lesa said...

You have to know that as a former 'grammar' geek....my first impulse was to grab my red pen and correct your post, but I am reformed now (there are many of us out here) and as much as it pains me, I will restrain myself and agree....busy work is a pain! (How's that for a run on sentence?!) :)

dodyb said...

You mean my post had errors in it?

Nana Lesa said...

Remember....I am a reformed grammar geek - please don't ask me to list the errors...it will make me fall off the wagon!

arwen said...

i like that Ty's favorite word is "penulitmately"... nice.